Our goal is to match adopters with an animal companion who fits their lifestyle. Our adoption process is structured to ensure that you and your selected pet are a good match! All animals have been evaluated for adoptability. Our knowledgeable staff will walk you through the process and help you transition your pet to his or her new home.
- Browse our adoptable pets online or in-person at the shelter. Read each animals description to see if they are compatible with other animals and/or children.
- Have your eye on a specific animal? Download and complete the questionnaire for the type of animal in which you are interested. Submit the completed questionnaire below or bring it with you to the shelter during open hours.
- Review your questionnaire with an adoption counselor at the shelter. Questionnaires are reviewed on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Our adoption counselors will speak with you about your selected pet(s) and help you to identify your best match.
- Visit with your match(es) and get to know each other.
- Complete the adoption paperwork.
For the quickest service, bring your whole family, including resident dogs, as we require meet and greets with the entire household (cats and small mammals excluded). Only individuals or families qualify to adopt; we do not adopt animals to a group such as a sorority or fraternity. We do not allow animals to be adopted as a gift.
If you rent, bring a copy of your lease. Shelter staff will also obtain verbal Landlord approval. If you own your home, or rent and have written permission from your landlord, you are eligible to adopt a pet from the Whitman County Humane Society.
*In the best interests of the animals, the shelter staff reserves the right to refuse adoptions.