Director of Shelter Operations
Director of Shelter Operations
Whitman County Humane Society in Pullman WA is seeking an individual with supervisory experience in an animal shelter, humane organization, animal care facility, or similar experience, to oversee the daily operations of our no-kill shelter. Under the supervision of the Board of Directors, this position manages and directs the operational, administrative, and supervisory duties associated with the day-to-day operation of the shelter. This position will oversee the Animal Care Manager, Adoption Manager, Shelter staff, volunteers, and fosterers. This position is also responsible for acting as a liaison with our community partners, veterinary providers, donors and public officials.
*Resolves complex operational and administrative issues involving animal care, customer care and staffing.
* Implements operational and administrative decisions from the Board of Directors regarding policies and procedures to improve operations and service delivery, involving animal care and customer care services.
* Prioritizes and coordinates projects, activities, assignments and volunteer events and maintains detailed records of daily activities.
* Assesses staffing needs and identifies shortfalls; interviews, recruits and hires new staff.
* Trains and supervises Animal Care Workers and other Shelter staff and volunteers; makes work assignments, evaluates performance and administers disciplinary actions as appropriate.
* Coordinates veterinary visits for sick or injured animals and dispenses or oversees staff that dispense medications prescribed by veterinarians.
* Conducts daily walkthroughs of all impounded animals in cages and kennels, monitoring health and well-being.
* Oversees and assists in the reclaim and adoption of animals from the shelter.
* Monitors activity and health of animals, and oversees and assists in the care and feeding of animals at the shelter including the dispensing of special dietary needs.
* Prepares reports and extensive documentation on the operations and administration of animal care services, customer care services, staffing issues, budgetary conditions and procurement processes.
* Determines procurement needs regarding inventory, food, supplies and equipment and tracks and monitors expenses.
* Reviews animal care medical records to ensure appropriate history and tracking are being performed by subordinate staff.
* Evaluates the effectiveness of processes, policies and procedures and initiates changes where needed.
* Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
*Requires a High School Diploma and experience in animal care service, responsible shelter operation, and knowledge of pet adoption strategies.
*Must be able to work well in a team environment and understand complex situations.
*Effective communication and conflict resolution skills.
*Knowledge of animal shelter procedures and regulations.
*Knowledge of safety, sanitation and humane environmental conditions of animals and animal shelters.
* Ability to safely handle animals, including those with unknown health and temperament.
* Strong verbal and written communication skills.
* Ability to make decisions during emergency and unusual circumstances.
* Skill in using standard office equipment such as copiers, computers and related software applications for data entry.
Ability to cope with irregular work hours, including weekends and holidays.
Visit www.whitmanpets.org for information on our organization. Salary is ~ $31,000/yr. Medical insurance available.
Seniors encouraged to apply.